Monday, September 26, 2011

Taxol - 1st round

Here we are again at my less favorite places to be....the Oncologist clinic. My appointment was later than usual and will last around 4 to 5 hours so brought lunch with me as will be here for a while. First last night I had to take 5 pills of steroids before going to bed, that pills did not let me sleep much so I am a bit tired today. This morning at 6 am I had to take another 5 of the same pills. All these pills are given as Taxol could cause a really severe allergic reaction and these tablets suppose to avoid that reaction.'

Went to lab for blood work at 9:30, when I saw the results I could see words of "high" and "low" in same of the lines, like indicators that something was wrong. When I saw Dr Chen she confirmed that everything is fine that the ones high were a reaction from this morning medication, and the ones low could be also a reaction and even if they were not she is not concerned about it. The ones she want to see at the right levels are white and red cells as well as platelets and some others but every thing is fine. After this process I am going to become and expert on medical terms for sure....I have also lost 3 pounds which she is OK about, in the past normally people will put around 15 to 20 pounds during chemo, that was a combination of eating to help nausea and steroids. Now nausea medication is better and also I am really conscious on what I eat plus I do regular exercise of walking or Yoga so the mix of all of them are helping me getting in better shape and lose some pounds at the same time.

She has given me great news of what I can do and what to expect from Taxol. I can be more social as my immune system does not get so affected, still need to avoid sick people. I can start eating raw food like salads as far as they are super washed, really excited about it as I missing some really nice salads that Alberto prepares. She expects that I will get a fever and flu symptoms this week, fever could go up to 102 and last for 5 days but she said I should treat it like a flu with ibuprofen this time. Coming back tomorrow for my immune system shot and next week for my flu vaccination.

When I arrive to the chemo room I only had one chair free in the semi-private room, however as it was my first Taxol session and the nurses will not let me stay there as they wanted me in the main room to be monitored of any possible reaction. So they gave me all the premedications (anti-nausea, benadryl) on the back room and when they started Taxol they move me to the front room. They started really slow and every five minutes they increased it slowly, it was a long 3 hours with it and it gives your leg cramps which was really uncomfortable. I felt really sorry for another person who was in the room who even with nausea medication she was really sick and they could not give her anything else to control it. There was also a few young people in the room, no that I am happy for other people to be sick, just kind of helps you to think you are not by yourself.

We left the place around 3 pm and the nurse told me that I might have fever today but the normal will be for my worst day to be this Wednesday when fever will probably start and the aching of the muscle and bones. The fact that the injection they give you tomorrow does also make your bones hurt does not help, BUT in general people complain less about Taxol so looking forward to be much better than the bad days with AC. Also the fact that I might get some hair back is exciting....

OK....5 sessions down, ONLY 3 to go!!!, yupeee.....now is counting back status and can't wait for this to be finished!. I will start Herceptin after Taxol for a year every 3 week but the doctor says it is much easier and no much side effects, just the thought of being in that room every 3 weeks for a year makes me sick but hopefully will be easier...

No comments:

Post a Comment