Friday, August 5, 2011

The day my life changed

Monday 24th went to see my doctor and I knew from the look of her face that there was something really wrong. She sent me to do a mammogram and a ultrasound for that same Wednesday and she asked me to arranged a meeting with the surgeon for the following week to get her opinion.

Wednesday I went with Alberto to do the test but he was not allowed to come in with me, the lady who did the mammogram was expressing too much body language in my opinion and I asked her crying if my husband could come in while I was waiting for the ultrasound, she said no and I got even more upset. The ultrasound was long and Alberto was allowed to come in before the doctor come to see me. When the doctor arrived you could see the fear on our eyes as we knew there was something really wrong. I still shake when I remember that moment, he said they could see two tumors on my left breast and he was certain it was Breast Cancer. I went into shock, I could not stop crying or shaking and I do not think I remember anything else he said on that appointment. That night I had several nightmares about life, I woke up screaming hysterical thinking I was dying, I was scared and Alberto told me: "you are going to be fine, we are going to be fine". It was a really scary time but I am a really strong person and I could fight anything they were going to put in front of me, if anyone could fight this could be me.

The following day I went back for a 3 hours biopsy of the 2 tumors and the lymph node under the armpit, the doctor was hopeful that the small tumor might not be cancer but he was sure the other two were going to be. This was Thursday 4th of July weekend what meant we were not getting the results until Tuesday or Wednesday the following week, what were we going to do for a week??. We spent as much time with friends as we could, we did things every day and we did not sleep much. I notified my new work and they were very understanding of what was coming. From the 4th of July my daily schedules were full of doctor's appointments.

No comments:

Post a Comment